Self-Help is looking for a full time Member Service Representative to work in our Columbia, SC branch. The full time Member Service Representative will work Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 8:30 am – 5:30 pm with members to meet financial service needs through processing transactions and suggesting new products or services. The MSR is responsible for delivering the highest level of customer service, accurate and efficient processing of member transactions, promoting products and services, resolving member account issues, making modifications to accounts, adding account services, opening new accounts, and performing those functions according to the policies and guidelines of the credit union in a friendly, helpful manner.
- Initiate and lead conversations to identify and assess member needs.
- Maintain and enhance member account relationships by providing excellent member service.
- Process share deposit payments, loan payments, and account transfers.
- Disburse cash and check withdrawals.
- Complete member transactions accurately and timely within prescribed limits and guidelines or seek approval for exceptions.
- Open new membership accounts and assess for accuracy and compliance
- Research and address member inquiries about credit union services and accounts.
- Perform account maintenance as authorized.
- Promote credit union products and services.
- Maintain base knowledge of consumer and mortgage loans in order to effectively refer loan products to the consumer and mortgage loan departments. Perform outbound calls to members as needed.
- Achieve individual and branch growth goals.
- Identify solutions in support of member needs.
- Observe all security/internal controls and be proactive in protecting the credit union by identifying fraudulent or forged documentation and/or activity.
- Serve as back up to MSR II responsibilities, when needed.
- Open, close and balance their own cash drawer daily.
- Maintain drawer cash levels within prescribed amounts.
- Post and Log night, ATM and mail deposits. (Part of dual-control team.)
- Adhere to general regulatory procedures including requirements of the Bank Secrecy Act and Anti Money Laundering rules
- Accurate balancing within established time frames.
- Assist with branch self-assessments as may be assigned.
- Participate in branch business development and outreach activities.
- May respond to electronic requests submitted by members and/or perform outbound calls to members in a professional prompt, efficient and accurate manner.
- Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Credentials, Experience and Skills:
- High School graduate or equivalent.
- Preference for working in organizations that place priority on teamwork and collaboration
- Strong commitment to our mission – creating economic opportunity for traditionally underserved communities.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively – both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to be trained and efficiently operate credit union systems and proprietary software, including proprietary software (New Solutions, Microsoft Excel, Word, and Outlook).
- Occasional work events that may fall on a weekend or an evening
- May be required to travel to cover other Branches.
- Keen attention to detail, ability to effectively organize and prioritize work.
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to use keyboard and data entry skills
- One to three years’ experience in financial institution or other customer service industry preferred.
- Prior cash handling and customer service responsibilities preferred.
The rate of pay for this position starts at $17.00/HR on a Full-time 40 hour a week schedule, plus a generous benefit package.
Self-Help Credit Union was chartered in 1983 to build a network of branches that partner with working families and communities often underserved by the financial marketplace. With over $1.6 billion in assets and serving more than 92,500 members in 32 branches - six in Florida, 22 in North Carolina, three in South Carolina, and one in Virginia - Self-Help Credit Union is one of the fastest-growing community development financial institutions in the country. It is part of the Self-Help family of non-profit organizations whose collective mission is to create and protect ownership and economic opportunity for all. For over 41 years, the national Center for Community Self-Help and its affiliates have provided more than $11 billion in financing to help over 198,000 people buy homes, start and grow businesses, and build wealth. For more information, please visit www.self-help.org.
Self-Help is committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all persons, regardless of race, religion, religious creed, color, national origin, ancestry, physical disability, mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression (including transgender status), age, sexual orientation, military and veteran status, class or family status.