We've made a lot of progress since opening the doors in 1942, but one thing has never changed - our commitment to serve, heal, lead, educate, and innovate. We believe that every award earned, every record broken and every patient helped is because of the dedicated employees who fill our hallways.
At Ochsner, whether you work with patients every day or support those who do, you are making a difference and that matters. Come make a difference at Ochsner Health and discover your future today!This job greets patients and guest in a courteous manner whether via telephone contact or in person; initiates scheduling an appointment or completing the check-in process/admission for patients; obtains and verifies accurate identification and demographical data for the patient’s permanent medical record which assist in accurate reimbursement while recognizing the necessity of maintaining the confidentiality of all patient information. Responsible for point-of-service collections, face-to-face patient interactions related to completing the patient registration and admission process; responsible for the verification of insurance via electronic verification, telephone, or web application; improves patient satisfaction through consistently representing the company professionally and cross trained to support multiple functions across all patient and payer types.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
This job description is a summary of the primary duties and responsibilities of the job and position. It is not intended to be a comprehensive or all-inclusive listing of duties and responsibilities. Contents are subject to change at the company's discretion.
Required – High school diploma or equivalent
Preferred – Associate’s degree
Required – One year of related hospital, clinic, medical office, business services/revenue cycle, front line registration, financial counseling, banking, hotel retail and/or customer service related experience
Preferred - Certification in Healthcare Access Manager (CHAM), Certification in Healthcare Access Associate (CHAA), Certification as a Medical Assistant (or other medical specialty-based certification)
Knowledge Skills and Abilities (KSAs)
- Must have computer skills and dexterity required for data entry and retrieval of information.
- Effective verbal and written communication skills and the ability to present information clearly and professionally.
- Must be proficient with Windows-style applications, various software packages specific to role and keyboard.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Must have clerical skills and exhibit technical knowledge of healthcare insurance benefits, various payor guidelines on referral and authorization processes as well as have current knowledge of Federal, State and Local billing regulations.
- Skills to effectively present information and respond to questions from patients and customers, with proficiency.
- Skills to solve practical problems and deal with high stress situations while maintaining a high quality of professionalism.
- Good organizational, time management, and conflict resolution skills.
- Excellent decision making skills; good analytical skills with a strong attention to detail are necessary.
- Ability to work collaboratively with other departments.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in handling/escalating difficult situations.
- Provide excellent customer service to all patients, guests, and family members.
- Create, activate, and complete the patient scheduling, clinic registration, or hospital admission process.
- Ensures all required forms are completed and other paperwork/documents are gathered and accurate.
- Efficiently and accurately gathers and inputs patient/guarantor demographic and financial information; explains insurance benefits and collects co-pays, deductibles and self-pay portions due.
- Performs financial analysis of each case and informs patient of financial responsibility
- Balances Cash drawer daily, prepares deposit slips and follow closing cash drawer process at the end of each shift.
- Demonstrates respect and cooperation in all staff relationships, and a genuine willingness to prevent or resolve inter-personal conflicts.
- Adapts behavior to the specific patient population, including but not limited to: respect for privacy, method of introduction to the patient, adapting explanation of services or procedures to be performed, requesting permissions and communication style.
- Other related duties as required.
The above statements describe the general nature and level of work only. They are not an exhaustive list of all required responsibilities, duties, and skills. Other duties may be added, or this description amended at any time.
Remains knowledgeable on current federal, state and local laws, accreditation standards or regulatory agency requirements that apply to the assigned area of responsibility and ensures compliance with all such laws, regulations and standards.
This employer maintains and complies with its Compliance & Privacy Program and Standards of Conduct, including the immediate reporting of any known or suspected unethical or questionable behaviors or conduct; patient/employee safety, patient privacy, and/or other compliance-related concerns.
The employer is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or disability status.
Physical and Environmental Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Sedentary Work - Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally (Occasionally: activity or condition exists up to 1/3 of the time) and/or a negligible amount of force frequently (Frequently: activity or condition exists from 1/3 to 2/3 of the time) to lift, carry, push, pull, or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods of time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Normal routine involves no exposure to blood, body fluid or tissue and as part of their employment, incumbents are not called upon to perform or assist in emergency care or first aid.
The incumbent works with patients who have known or suspected communicable diseases and may enter isolation rooms. The incumbent has an occupational risk for exposure to all communicable diseases.
Because the incumbent works within a healthcare setting, there may be occupational risk for exposure to hazardous medications or hazardous waste within the environment through receipt, transport, storage, preparation, dispensing, administration, cleaning and/or disposal of contaminated waste. The risk level of exposure may increase depending on the essential job duties of the role.
Are you ready to make a difference? Apply Today!
Ochsner Health does not consider an individual an applicant until they have formally applied to the open position on this careers website.
Individuals who reside in and will work from the state of Colorado are not eligible for remote work position .
Ochsner Health endeavors to make our site accessible to all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website, or if you need an accommodation to complete the application process, please contact our HR Employee Solution Center at 504-842-4748 (select option 1) or [email protected] . This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.