The Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center is seeking applicants for the following position:
Law Enforcement Victims Advocate
Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center
North Providence Police Department
Johnston Police Department
General Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Director of Advocacy and the assigned program liaison for the North Providence and Johnston Police Department, the LEA will provide enhanced services for victims of domestic violence and sexual assault in the towns of North Providence and Johnston. The LEA will receive additional supervision and guidance from the assigned program supervising officer from the partnering police departments, and the director of advocacy services at the Elizabeth Buffum Chace Center.
Case review and assessment:
· Under the direction of each police department’s Police Supervisor, review all assigned cases of domestic violence and sexual assault for the towns of North Providence and Johnston. Cases may come to the project from within the police department, through referrals from the victim service agencies, and/or from other community-based agencies.
· Develop a follow-up plan for each reviewed case, which may include any of the following, or other appropriate response to victim’s needs:
o Telephone contact
o Contact by letter or email
o In-person contact (at Police Department, Court, another agency or at the victim’s residence when deemed safe and when accompanied by an assigned officer or other professional)
Victim Assistance and Case Coordination
· Work with the victim to identify needs for short-term safety planning and for longer term changes related to living free of abuse.
· Work with the victim to identify and address concerns about the criminal justice process. Provide necessary information and referrals.
· Assist the victim in identifying and coordinating services from appropriate agencies, making referrals, and advocating with those agencies on behalf of the victim.
· Provide information and assistance to police to enhance case response.
· Provide victims with accompaniment to meetings and/or criminal justice proceedings as needed on a case-by-case basis.
Outreach and Awareness
· Participate in police department outreach in the community to increase awareness of domestic violence and sexual assault.
· Participate in police department work with community-based service providers to develop strong, comprehensive support networks for victims, including training and meetings
· Assist in the training of police officers of the participating departments to increase their understanding of the role of the LEA, to promote good working relationships between police, the LEA and service providers, and to keep law enforcement current on issues related to victimization.
· At the request of the participating police departments assist in other professional trainings and community awareness events related to domestic violence and sexual assault.
· Participate in meetings of the VAWA Curriculum Committee as available.
· Participate in LEA in-service and peer support meetings as scheduled.
· Keep appropriate records (written and electronic) to track case contacts, victim demographics, and other required data
· Provide reports as required by the Supervising officer.
· Attend organizational meetings of project partner agencies
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate for this position has experience working with victims of interpersonal violence and providing direct services and support to underserved population.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent education/work experience
Hours: 35 hours/week. Schedule to be determined.
Job Type: Full-time
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible schedule
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Paid time off
- Referral program
- Vision insurance
- Monday to Friday
Ability to commute/relocate:
- Warwick, RI 02889: Reliably commute or planning to relocate before starting work (Required)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- victim support service: 1 year (Preferred)
Work Location: One location