At Spire, we believe energy exists to help people. To enrich their lives, grow their businesses, advance their communities. It’s a simple idea, but one that’s at the heart of our business. We’re dedicated to understanding our customers’ needs and goals to better serve them today and tomorrow. That’s why we’re always looking for driven, collaborative people to join our team. Because we believe that offering our customers the best service means bringing together the best people.
We value safety, inclusion, and integrity. We connect to people, get the job done, and leave a memory and everything about our culture comes back to one thing: a handshake at the front door. We have 4 essential behaviors that show how the Spire culture comes to life:
Living Spire (Essential Behaviors)
- We Collaborate: We reach across boundaries to connect with each other and deliver on our promises. We put teamwork first, knowing that our collective energy makes us stronger.
- We Care: We create good memories by treating people how we want to be treated: We are inclusive, respectful and kind. We actively create a caring culture that feels like a handshake at the front door.
- We Advance: We are active learners who never stop looking for ways to innovate and improve ourselves, and our company. We embrace ongoing development and process improvement with passion and tenacity.
- We Have Perspective: We strive to gain additional perspective about Spire’s business and the ever-changing energy industry. We know that every employee plays an important role in Spire’s success, and we give our best to better understand how to help move the company forward.
Spire is seeking a Construction Crewman for the Hattiesburg, MS location. This position will be responsible for performing field tasks involving all aspects of safely operating the Company’s gas distribution systems. Routinely assigned to construction; however, may be assigned to work with any department with Operations.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assist the Construction Supervisor and/or Construction Foreman with duties including, but not limited to: installation of gas mains, services and meter loops, gas leak repairs, abandoning gas mains and services, gas grill and light installations and repairs, gas main and service line relocations, meter changes, station inspections, station maintenance and welding assistance
- Operates heavy equipment and power tools such as backhoes and jackhammers. Dig ditches or trenches, backfills excavations, and compacts and levels earth to grade specifications, using picks, shovels, pneumatic tampers and rakes.
- Signals equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, and adjustment of machinery, equipment and materials.
- Lubricates, cleans and repairs machinery, equipment and tools.
- Ability to fuse plastic pipe without supervision.
- Assists other Company personnel with the following operations: cathodic protection, odorization, material handling, building maintenance and grounds upkeep.
- Controls traffic passing near, in and around work zones.
- All other duties as assigned.
Essential Characteristics and Competencies
Required Education (certifications, licenses)
- High School diploma or equivalent.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Ability to obtain a Class A Commercial Driver’s License.
Required knowledge, skill and abilities
- Backfilling ditches and trenches.
- Operating air tools and light duty mechanical construction equipment
- Mixing and pouring concrete and broom finishing patches in street and making temporary repairs to pavement.
- Performs maintenance work involved in pipe corrosion protection operations such as applying green line, fiberglass, mastic, etc.
- Prepares piping for repair and joining. Performs tasks that require the use of respiratory protection equipment as encountered in live gas repairs.
- Uses locate equipment to locate piping for internal purposes.
- Aminimum of 6 months' experience in construction and/or heavy equipment operations; experience in underground utility construction preferred
Physical demands, environment and schedule
- Ability to use hands to handle, control or feel objects, tools or controls walk, stand, climb, crouch, crawl, bend or twist; and lift or move heavy objects. Requires repetitive movement. Includes exposure to whole body vibration. Ability to work in confined spaces and maneuver in awkward positions.
- Includes exposure to contaminants. Includes exposure to sounds and noise levels that are distracting or uncomfortable.
- Ability to work in a very hot (above 90 F degrees) and very cold (below 32 F degrees) temperatures, and extremely bright or inadequate lighting conditions. Requires exposure to minor burns, cuts, bites or stings.
- Requires exposure to hazardous equipment and conditions.
- Requires wearing applicable protective or safety equipment
- Overtime and/or travel may be required.
CompetenciesWe Advance We Care We Collaborate We Have Perspective
Disclaimer: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of the level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.